Highlights of Meetings:
FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler addressed the membership speaking to the issue of Network Neutrality.
ALA President-Elect Courtney Young, will partner with ALA Chapters to provide training for a national cohort of 25 librarians from a cross section of libraries to become certified Career Development Facilitators (CDF). Created by the National Career Development Association (NCDA), the CDF program is a comprehensive training designed to address several facets of career planning and the job search.
Capwiz needs to be moved to the new platform by October http://www.ala.org/offices/select-chapter-leaders-forum-documents-and-links#advocacy. Capwiz is the shared online advocacy network for state and federal grassroots advocacy. It provides action alerts to disseminate messages targeting specific elected officials, issues or legislation, allows advocates to contact elected officials easily and is financially supported by ALA.
ALA Annual Conference Council Sessions Report:
1. ALA Strategic Initiatives: Advocacy, Information Policy, Professional and Leadership Development
2. Election Report of the tellers:
- Committee on Committees: Ann Crewdson; Karen Downing; Jim Kuhn; Susan Gregory
- At Large Councilors Planning and Budget Assembly: Loida Garcia-Febo; Matthew Ciszek; Ismail Abdullahi
- Chapter Councilors PBA Stephanie Braunstein; Regina Cooper
- Stable funding for Air Force libraries
- Resolution on Granting the District of Columbia government budget autonomy to allow city services, including libraries, to remain open during a Federal Government shutdown
- Resolution on Digitization of U.S. Government Documents
- Resolution Reaffirming Support for National Open Internet Policies and “Network Neutrality”